I hope everyone had a great time celebrating Easter with family and friends. Easter is meant to be a symbol of hope, renewal and new life. We should take this opportunity to make changes in our lives that will bring forth positive impact not only in our personal life but also in our professional lives.
1. Last month’s Food Bank Event was a success. We had 29 people registered for the event. We will continue to do more volunteer work to help our community.
2. Crawfish Boil sponsored by E3 Wealth Financial was well attended despite the chilly weather. We learned how important it is not only to be medically healthy but also financially.
3. The CE meeting for April 9 was be held at The Briar Club. Our speaker was Past-President Delmar Aubin; she spoke about “Caring for Hemodialysis Access Patients across the Continuum.” Proceeds from CE events go to the Scholarship fund.
4. Scholarship applications are now closed. The Scholarship Committee will be busy reviewing all the applications and the deserving winners will be announced during the May dinner meeting.
5. Call for nominations for Officers are closed and ballots will be emailed shortly for the vote. At our May meeting we will get to meet the candidates, and their bio’s will be available on the website which can help you decide. Good luck to everyone.
6. The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) is warning the public about criminals posing as DEA Special Agents or other law enforcement personnel as part of an international extortion scheme. Please visit the DEA website for more information (www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/pubs/pressreleases/extortion_scam.htm).
7. On April 21, 2018 President-elect Elizabeth Gigliotti will be attending the TNP President’s Council on my behalf. She will be an excellent representative of HANP. Elizabeth is also working with TNP to address the need for preceptors by NP students. A Preceptor Task Force was established to address this issue. An email will be sent to TNP members to gather data that will help plan the appropriate plan of action to address this very important issue.
8. The Annual NP/PA Boot Camp hosted by Houston Methodist Hospital will be April 26-29, 2018. HANP members will get a special discount for the Primary track, a reduced price of $149 for the weekend course. April 26, 2018 Thursday for the procedure workshops will be $35/ session. If you have a question please feel free to email me or go to the website for the NP PA Boot Camp (http://events.houstonmethodist.org/events/action-stat-bootcamp-2018/event-summary-3aedb03b32154ee283e15be0e8dffba4.aspx).
9. The Education Committee has been working hard to plan the best conference for our members, tremendous progress is being made. Please save the date for this annual event - November 2nd for Pre-Conference Workshops and November 3rd for the main Conference. Please register to support out organization. More details available on the website.
• Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
• The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today.
• Put your heart, mind, and soul into even the smallest acts. This is the secret of success.
Date - May 9, 2018 - Members Only Dinner Meeting
Topic - Vraylar - A Clinical Overview
Venue - Willie G's, 1640 West Loop S., Houston, TX 77027 **PLEASE NOTE NEW ADDRESS**
April 28, 2018 - Stomp Out Stroke Festival
May 9, 2018 - Members Only Dinner Meeting @ Willie G's
June 13, 218 - CE Dinner Meeting, Open to Members & Non-members
July 11, 2018 - Members Only Dinner Meeting